To serve social ads. We occasionally pair advertisements we serve with relevant information we have about you and your friends to make advertisements more interesting and more tailored to you and your friends. For example, if you connect with your favorite band’s page, we may display your name and profile photo next to an advertisement for that page that is displayed to your friends. We only share the personally identifiable information visible in the social ad with the friend who can see the ad. You can opt out of having your information used in social ads on this help page.
The danger with this kind of “Russian-Roullette Advertising” was made clear in Mashable’s article here about a Facebook “3rd party” Adult Dating advertisement which hooked a man to his own wife!
Therefore all Facebook user’s should make a conscious decision about whether or not to allow their Profile and Photos being used for Facebook Social Advertisements…although that is easier said than done because of Facebook’s legendary hidden settings! Luckily for you, we have an easy step-by-step below:
How to stop Facebook using your Profile and Photos in Advertisements:
1. Click on Accounts at the top-right of your Facebook Account.
2. Next click on Account Settings , then on Facebook Adverts. Please ignore any pop-ups that appear because they are designed to steer you away from changing these settings!
3. Look under the label “Adverts shown by third party applications” then go to the setting option asking “Allow ads on platform pages to show my information to” and change it to say “No one”.
4. Scroll further down to the bottom of the page where you will find the setting option “Show my social actions in Facebook Ads to” and change it to say “No One” .
5. That’s it…now excuse me while I go and advertise this post on Facebook!!!
Share this info with your friends, they will thank you!